Sunday, May 27, 2012

Kana beka! (eat bat!)






Ni sa Bula Vinaka na noqu matavuvale!

I can’t believe that you guys are out of school already! That is crazy. Sounds
like you guys are going to have a fun and busy summer. That is way cool that
Casey is working at the warehouse.
Well this week a lot of cool stuff happened. First off I will talk about the
story behind the subject of this email and the pictures that I sent. So for the
last few weeks I have been telling the people out in Waimalua that I want to
try to eat bat one day. They always tell me that it tastes good and I just want
to try as many cool crazy things as possible while I am here. So this week I
told them again and they said that they would try to get one that day. So we
went out on our big hike all the way out there and taught some lessons and on
the way back me and Elder Tamuera were also trying to get a bat to take back.
The way they do it is they get a stick or something and while the bat is eating
fruit they throw it at it and it knocks it to the ground and they can’t take
off from the ground so then you just run over and grab it and kill it or tie it
up. So we were trying but all the ones we saw were just flying way high so we couldn’t
get them. So we get back to the Toroca's house and we were teaching a lesson
there and then it gets over and Lekima the guy that said he would get us one
come in and I asked him if he got us one and he just walks outside and brings
in this live bat that is just tied up haha So he unties it and we were taking
all kinds of pictures with it. It was crazy because you had to hold the wing
super tight because it was like trying to pull in your hand to bite you haha So
then they just boiled it up and we ate it! It was actually pretty good. I even
ate the wing, but that was pretty much just like chewing on a rubber band haha
It was way awesome. They said they will get us another one this week and cook
it up better before we get there haha
So a couple other cool things that happened was that Bro. Tabua's daughter just
had a baby and we actually had to drive her to the hospital because all the
hospital’s trucks were gone. So on the drive over there I told her that they
should name the baby after me, that is a pretty big deal here in Fiji, they
always name kids after other people and then that is your yaca (namesake). So a
few days after she had the baby we went over there and it was a boy and his
name is Apalosa Hawk Tabua!!! hahaha Way awesome. Sister Tabua also told me
this week that when I speak Fijian now that I sound just like a Fijian. It was
pretty cool. I know I still have a whole lot to learn in Fijian but it still
made me feel good. I also got the wedding announcement of one of our teachers
from the MTC and I wrote him a whole two page letter all in Fijian. It was way
fun writing it and just thinking how cool it is that I can write someone a
letter all in Fijian. And it is even cooler that the person I am sending to is
another white kid and that he will be able to write all Fijian back to me! haha
I am sure he will be way stoked to get it.
Another way cool thing that happened this week was that on Monday we get a call
from a random number on our phone and it is a Fijian lady and she starts
telling me how we gave a DVD to her son a few weeks ago and how they watched it
and loved it and now they want us to go over and teach them! It is way cool
because the day that we gave the DVD to that kid was the day a few weeks ago
when we went to go find that one referral way out in that one crazy koro and we
went all the way out to this place that missionaries have probably never even
been before and it ended up that the girl we were looking for didn’t even live
there but there was a bunch of kids on this bridge and I had a “Finding Faith
In Christ” DVD and a card with our number on it and I just gave it to one of
the kids and thought nothing of it but now look what has happened from it! The
Lord has His hand in every part of this work. The only thing that kind of stinks
is that they actually don’t live in our area, they were just visiting in that
koro, but they live in our ZL's area and they have a lesson set up with them
this next week so it will be cool to see how it works out.
Well as far as the work goes, things are going really good. We have been
picking up a lot of new investigators lately and some of them have been really
awesome so I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I think that I
will probably be getting transferred at the end of June which is the next
transfer. I will definitely miss this area and the people but it will be good
to see some more of Fiji. Thanks for being awesome! Hope you enjoy all of these
stories about my adventures this week! haha Tell everyone that I love them!
Au lomani kemudou!!!

Loloma, Elder Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment